Our academic experts are ready and waiting to assist with any writing project you may have. From simple essay plans, through to full dissertations, you can guarantee we have a service perfectly matched to your needs.
Ethical decision making paper guidelines
The ability to make consistent ethical decisions requires a knowledge of societal rules, ethical principles, professional standards, and the formal decision-making structure. Like the nursing process, the ethical decision-making model is a problem-solving framework off reference that includes a series of steps designed to facilitate the decision-making process from dilemma to resolution. Using the five-step process, in at least 5 pages apply the ethical decision-making model to the following case presentation.
Mrs R, an 87 year old patient, has a past history that includes coronary artery disease, a previous stroke and advanced Alzheimer’s disease. 10 days ago Mrs R was hospitalized for aspiration pneumonia and has been ventilator dependent since being admitted to the intensive care unit in a small rural hospital. Family members visit daily and have repeatedly voiced their concerns to the nursing staff about the continued ventilator support that Mrs R is receiving, most notably the fact that Mrs R would have never wanted such care. They also note that Mrs R has not recognized them in past months and that they plan to visit less in the future days, but can be contacted should any change in Mrs R’s condition occur.
Her primary care physician has practiced in this community for multiple years; he is well known for his reluctance to discontinue any type of life support for any patient. When questioned, doctor G’s consistent responses, if this were his 92 year old frail mother, he would prescribe the very same treatment for her. Doctor G now has requested that the nurse talk to the family about moving Mrs R to a major Medical Center, where she can receive more advanced care including vigorous rehabilitation and physical therapy, so that she may eventually return to a long-term nursing care facility.
Criteria for the format and special instructions
1. The paper excluding the title page and reference page should be at least 5 pages.
2. Font and size acceptable: choose are permitted fund from the APS 7th addition guidelines.
3. Wright an introduction but do not use introduction as a heading in accordance with the APA rules. IN this section introduce the ethical model and write about it. Finish this section with “The purpose of this paper is….”
4. Use of the following headers to organize the content of your paper:
a) Articulate the problem
Needs to write “The problem is….”
“The goal is of this case is…..”
b) Gather data (analyze all the players/contributors in the scenario to the problem individually. Nurse and patient MUST be included!)
Player/contributor 1 – Patient (Mrs R)
Player/contributor 2 – Nurse
Player/contributor 3 – Doctor G
Player/contributor 4 – Family
c) Explore strategies (must include 3):
d) Implement the 3 strategies (step by step walk through)
-Strategy 2 implementation
-Strategy 3 implementation
e) Evaluate outcomes:
Summary and Ethical decision making model and how it helped to solve this case. What`s the take away from this case study and resolution.
5. A minimum of three scholarly references must be used. Scholarly references need to be current five to eight years or less ( anonymous authors or web pages are not acceptable).
6. Title of page body of paper and reference page must follow a PA guidelines as found in the 7th edition of the manual. This includes the use of headings for each section or topic of the paper.
7. Ideas and information that come from readings must be cited and referenced correctly.
8. Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal written work as found in a 7th edition of the AP a manual.